Frequently Asked Questions

▼   Once I graduate, may I still be seen at the Student Health Center (SHC)?
Yes. You may be seen for one visit during the semester directly following graduation. You will be ineligible for treatment thereafter unless you re-enroll in classes.
▼   Do we treat children of enrolled students?
No, we do not. Our specialty is the college age patient. Our medical professionals are experienced and trained to focus on the health needs of the University of South Alabama students.
▼   Does the Student Health Center have a Dentist and an Optometrist?
No, we do not. If you need the name of a dentist or optometrist, we can provide it for you.
▼   How long will the visit last?
Expect the visit to last at least an hour.
▼   What happens once I get to the Student Health Center?
You check in with the receptionist and then have a seat until a nurse calls your name. We have two waiting rooms: A sick waiting room and a well waiting room. A nurse will take your medical history. Be prepared to describe your symptoms to the healthcare professional. (Be a little more specific than stating, "I'm sick.") After that, you will see a doctor or a nurse practitioner.
▼   What is a nurse practitioner?
A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse (RN) who is skilled in treating illnesses and prescribing medication. The Certified Nurse Practitioner or CRNP at the Student Health Center are specialized in women's health and family medicine and have expertise in college health.
▼   Are the doctors at the Student Health Center “real doctors”?
The doctors on staff at the Student Health Center are board certified in family medicine and internal medicine. Additionally, we have a physician who has received additional training in sports medicine. All of the doctors have completed residencies and received degrees from accredited universities. The doctors at the SHC enjoy working with students, and you may rest assured that you are getting a professional experienced doctor who will make your health a priority.
▼   Where can I get information about STDs/alcohol/drugs/quitting smoking?
There are a number of ways to obtain the information you want on a variety of topics. Take a moment to look through the health brochures available in the Student Health Center, or ask the doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner or health educator.
▼   What is a Physician Assistant (PA)?
Physician assistants are healthcare professionals licensed to practice medicine with physician supervision. PAs employed by the federal government are credentialed to practice. As part of their comprehensive responsibilities, PAs conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, counsel on preventive healthcare, assist in surgery, and in virtually all states can write prescriptions. Within the physician-PA relationship, physician assistants exercise autonomy in medical decision making and provide a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services.