The Department of Biology at the University of South Alabama is committed to providing high-quality education and training in the life sciences to our students through building a diverse, supportive, and collaborative intellectual community of faculty and students. Through hands-on mentorship, teaching, and research, our mission is to create an educational environment that enables our undergraduate and graduate students to plan, conduct, and communicate the results of their original work. Our students develop practical skills that prepare them for exceptional career opportunities, including professional and graduate school programs, industry, and nongovernmental organizations to serve their communities. We aim to develop our students' communication, creativity, and critical thinking skills to ensure life-long learning and to equip them with the necessary tools to become productive members of society.
Our vision is to prepare our students to be leaders within their fields, equipped with knowledge and skills necessary to address the pressing issues of our time. We strive to provide active learning in all of our classes, enabling our students to develop the communication, creative, and critical thinking skills required for life-long learning and success in their careers. Our faculty work interdisciplinarily to drive the development of research and scholarship that advances knowledge, prioritizing grant funding and actively improving our teaching. Our goal is to convert the outcomes of our research and academic work into goods, procedures, and utilities that solve problems at local, regional, and global scales. We seek to create scientifically literate citizens who contribute to society in meaningful ways by applying their knowledge to real-world challenges.
- Prioritize accessibility for students and colleagues, fostering an environment of collaboration, belonging, and respect.
- Ensure that departmental policies and practices reflect our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Provide inclusive and engaging learning environments that equip students with practical skills including data collection and analysis, laboratory techniques, and scientific writing that prepare them for pursuing advanced degrees, working in industry, or serving their communities.
- Develop student communication, creativity, and critical thinking skills, enabling them to be productive members of society.
- Provide opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to conduct faculty-mentored research that advances science and fosters creativity and innovation.
- Develop and promote a collaborative community that leverages the expertise of our professors and students to positively impact our planet and local community.