How to Apply
Future students must apply for admission to The University of South Alabama College of Medicine and be accepted before eligibility for any student aid programs can be determined.
Federal Student Aid (Direct Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS Loans)
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year as soon as possible after October 1st for the upcoming school year. Students can complete the FAFSA online.
- If a student is completing the FAFSA for the first time, the student must create a FSA (Federal Student Aid) ID.
- USA’s Federal School Code is 001057.
Note: Approximately 30% of all applications each year will be selected by the Federal Processor for a process of review called verification. If your application is selected you will be notified through your JagMail email account. You will also be able to view the requirements online by going to Student Logins and selecting the ‘USA Financial Aid Verification Portal’. In addition, the Federal Processor will perform database matches by comparing your application data with the Social Security Administration, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Selective Service System, National Student Loan Data System, and others. Depending on the outcome of these database matches, you may be required to submit additional documentation to USA.
When the Department of Education receives the FAFSA, you can check the status of your FAFSA application at studentaid.gov. Furthermore, federal student aid applicants will receive an email confirming that the FAFSA has been received. Review the information on the email or accuracy and to be sure the University of South Alabama was listed as a college to receive your FAFSA results.
If USA was listed on the FAFSA and the FAFSA was completed correctly, the USA should receive the application results electronically. The Financial Aid Office will then begin corresponding with the student.
All correspondence will be emailed. If you have been admitted to USA, you are assigned a school email account. All financial aid emails will be sent to your USA school JagMail email account. If you have not yet been assigned an email address by the Admission Office, the email will be sent to the email address indicated on your FAFSA. PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL OFTEN AND RESPOND PROMPTLY AND ACCURATELY TO ALL REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION.
Once a student’s file is complete and accurate, the Financial Aid Office processes a student award package. The awarding process takes approximately two to three weeks.
Students are notified of their awards by email. Award notifications are emailed to the student’s USA JagMail email account and can also be viewed on PAWS. In order for the loans to disburse on time, the student must accept the Terms and Conditions on PAWS before accepting any amount of the award. If a student is awarded money that needs to be declined, please contact the Associate Director of Financial Aid in the USA College of Medicine.If this is the first time the student has been awarded and accepted student loans, a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling must be signed at studentaid.gov.
ALL financial aid refunds are processed by the Office of Student Accounting. If the student is due a refund after all tuition and fee charges have been paid, the refund can be issued one of two ways:
- Electronic Direct Deposit (EDD). A student must complete the EDD process on PAWS at least 30 days prior to the expected aid disbursement date in order for the Office of Student Accounting to process a refund for the semester. All financial aid refunds will be electronically deposited into the student's checking account within 14 days after disbursement. Below are the instructions on how to set up Electronic Direct Deposit:
- Establish a checking account, via the bank of your choice or the University of South Alabama Credit Union.
- Ensure that the University always has your current permanent address. You can update your personal information on PAWS.
- View your EDD information and make changes at any time through PAWS.
Check Refunds. If Electronic Direct Deposit is not used, a refund check will be mailed to the student's mailing address within 14 days of the disbursement date.