USA Financial Aid Verification Portal

USA Financial Aid Verification Portal: Frequently Asked Questions

The USA Financial Aid Verification Portal is a secure platform for verification document upload. Verification documents submitted via email are no longer accepted. 

▼   How do I log into the Verification Portal?
You will use your JagNet credentials to log into the Verification Portal.
▼   I keep getting an error message that my information doesn't match in the system. What do I do?

The Verification Portal requires 4 key identifiers to be entered exactly as they are listed on your FAFSA when you create your account:

1. First Name

2. Last Name

3. Date of Birth

4. Social Security Number


You cannot login to the Portal if any of your 4 key identifiers do not match what you listed on your FAFSA. If you believe you entered incorrect information for the identifiers on your FAFSA, please email our office for assistance. 


Approximately 30% of all FAFSAs received by USA each year are selected by the Department of Education for a process of review called verification.

When a FAFSA is submitted, the Department of Education performs database matches by comparing application data with the Social Security Administration, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Selective Service System, National Student Loan Data System, and others. Depending on the outcome of these database matches, a student may be required to submit additional documentation to USA for a process called verification. Verification is a review process which requires documentation of select data elements of a student's FAFSA. In this review, the financial aid staff compares the FAFSA with information provided in the required verification documents.

If a student's FAFSA is selected for verification, they will be notified through their JagMail email account.

The Office of Financial Aid will make corrections to the FAFSA, if necessary, as a result of verification. Students will be notified by the Department of Education and/or our office either with a corrected FAFSA or a revised aid offer notification. A FAFSA that is completed correctly will not require corrections.

Failure to have a complete financial aid file at least 60 days prior to the beginning of each term may delay or prevent receipt of aid. If this is the case, students will be responsible for payment of any charges on their student account or their schedule may be cancelled.

Referrals will be made to the Office of Inspector General should there be allegations of fraud or other criminal misconduct in connection with an applicant’s application for financial aid.

Verification: Frequently Asked Questions


▼   I do not live with my parents, they do not claim me on their tax returns, and they do not give me any financial support. Do I still have to include their information on my FAFSA?
If you cannot answer YES to any question in the "Step Three" section of the FAFSA, you MUST include parent information. Parent information is required in these cases because the federal government has decided paying for the cost of education is the responsibility of the student and the student's parents until the student can answer YES to any one question in "Step Three".
▼   I already filed my FAFSA, but now I'm married. Can I be considered independent now?
Your marital status for financial aid purposes is determined on the day you completed your FAFSA. Any parent information included on your FAFSA will be taken into account for that year.
▼   My step-parent is not willing to support me. Do I have to list his/her income under the parent section?
Yes, if your supporting parent is remarried, you must include his/her spouse's information on the FAFSA.
▼   I live with my grandparents/other relatives/guardians who support me. Should I report their income on my FAFSA instead of my parents?

No, you must list your parents' information under the parent section. If unusual circumstances exist, please check with the Office of Financial Aid before submitting your FAFSA.


▼   The school is asking for a copy of my tax transcript. How do I obtain a copy?
You can obtain a copy of your tax transcript at From that site, in the Tools section of the homepage click 'Get Transcript of your Tax Records'. Next, choose 'Get Transcript Online' or 'Get Transcript by Mail' and follow the instructions through the process. If you select 'Get Transcript Online' you can print a copy of your tax transcript immediately. If you select 'Get Transcript by Mail', you should receive your request within 5-10 days.
▼   The school is asking for verification of my Selective Service System registration. I don't have anything. What should I do?
You must contact Selective Service System at or (847) 688-6888 to verify your registration. If it is determined you haven't yet registered and you are between the ages of 18 and 25, you must do so. If you are not registered and you are over 26 years of age, you need to request a status letter from the Selective Service System and provide a copy to the Office of Financial Aid.
▼   The school is asking for verification of my Selective Service System registration and I'm female. What should I do?
You can provide a signed statement to the Office of Financial Aid indicating that you are female and not required to register with the Selective Service System. Be sure to include your full name, Jag Number and Social Security number on the statement.