How do I register for orientation?

Registering is simple. Go to "Register for Orientation" and it will take you directly to the registration form.

Where can I find information about AP/IB credits?

You can find information regarding how test scores will transfer in as credit by clicking "AP/IB credits."

Will my AP/IB credits transfer?

This depends on what you scored on your exam. Go to AP/IB for more exam information.

How do I apply for scholarships?

South has multiple scholarships available. Go to the Scholarship Office website for more information.

Will I be able to study abroad and if so, when?

We encourage you to incorporate a study abroad program into your undergraduate experience. There are many opportunities to study abroad, so you will definitely be able to find your perfect experience! Go to the Study Abroad website for more information. You can study abroad during a semester, during the summer, or you can even take faculty led trips that a couple of weeks. You should start researching opportunities as soon as your first year, so you can plan your course work accordingly.  

Should I take courses this summer before I start at South? (STEM majors)

If you are considering one of Souths STEM majors (Science, Technology or Math) and you do not place into the required math for the program (see MATH Tracks and ACT information here), you should consider taking a math course in the summer so you feel prepared for your chosen program. Majors in these fields are math heavy, and this will be excellent preparation for your success in your first semester.  

Otherwise, it’s up to you! Most programs at South can be completed in 4 years.

How do I find my majors' math requirement?

You can find information on what math your major requires by accessing South’s Bulletin. If you are exploratory, then we would recommend you take the highest math you place into based on your MATH ACT so you can keep all your major options open. We will talk to you about this when you come to campus for Orientation.

Should I take summer school?

To ensure you are progressing in your chosen major, we recommend you complete 30-36 semester hours each academic year. This means you will need to enroll in 14-16 hours each semester, which translates to about 4-5 classes. We understand that not every student feels prepared to take this course load, so if you opt to enroll in 12 hours each term (12 hours is full time status), then we would highly recommend you complete 1-2 courses during the summer.  Registration dates are also determined by your hours earned, so to ensure you can take advantage of earlier registration, you will want to consider summer if you need to reach your 30 hours.

If you are pursuing a STEM major (Science, Technology or Math), and your MATH ACT did not place you in the math required for your major, we would encourage you to take summer courses to ensure you are progressing in your degree.

My ACT score placed my in a lower math than my major requires. Are there any options available to help me become math ready before I start?

Yes! You can always take a lower math or a pre-requisite math at a community college near your home. Make sure that the course transfers to South by checking with your FY advisor. You can also visit this website for transfer equivalencies at Bishop, Faulkner, and Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Where can I find information about my prospective major?

The FYAC has created an extensive guide for the Arts & Sciences majors that South offers. Go to Arts and Sciences for a list of majors and information on each major.

If you are interested in Engineering, Business, Education, Allied Health programs, or Nursing requirements, you can find information for those programs by selecting their College.

What if I am unsure about choosing a major?

Being an exploratory student is great! Exploring different majors will give you a chance to find something you are truly passionate about! In many cases, you can be exploratory up to 45 hours before determining your major.


What is the First Year Experience (FYE) course and how do I register for one?

Go to the FYE website for more information on the courses. Depending on your College, you will be registered for the correct FYE course. For example, students in the College of Arts & Sciences will register for CAS 100. Your orientation advisor will ensure you are registered for the correct FYE course.  

Will I need any immunizations before I start school?

Yes! You will need to have all paperwork submitted before coming to campus in the fall. You can scan and email your records to immunizations@southalabama.edu prior to attending Orientation. We take your health seriously at South!  You will find lots of information regarding immunizations here.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD and have had accommodations in high school. Does this continue at South?

Absolutely, please continue to do those things that worked successfully for you in high school when you come to South. You can contact Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources to see what you need to submit to ensure you have special consideration in your classes. College is difficult, so be sure to take every opportunity available to ensure your success. Go to the Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources website for more information.

I have a special parking tag. How do I get this recognized at USA?

You need to fill out a special application with Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources in order to get a special parking hangtag for parking at USA. Please see Accommodated Parking on the website for Center for Educational Accessibility & Disability Resources.

Does South offer tutoring services?

South takes great pride in providing our students with free academic assistance. Go to the Academic Success for more information on the services provided. 

What is FERPA and how does it effect me?

FERPA, or the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, is a law designed to protect your academic privacy while you are a student at USA. For more information, please visit our FERPA information center.