Estimated Expenses

Undergraduate & Graduate Degree-Seeking Student Summary of Required Funding – 2023-2024*

Undergraduate Costs Amount
Tuition and Fees $17,952.00 
Living Expenses $8,600.00
Books $1,000.00
Health Insurance $3,361.00
Total $30,913.00
Graduate Costs Amount
Tuition and Fees $11,520.00
Living Expenses $8,600.00
Books $1,000.00
Health Insurance $3,361.00
Total $24,481.00

*Estimated costs are for the issuance of the Form I-20 or DS-2019. Tuition is based on the College of Arts & Sciences price per course. Undergraduate fees are based on 12 credit hours per Fall/Spring semesters. Graduate fees are based on 6 credit hours per Fall/Spring semesters. Students with majors not in the College of Arts & Sciences should visit the bulletin for the tuition price per course of their College.

USA Tuition and Fee Schedule 

Undergraduate & Graduate Exchange Student Summary of Required Funding – 2022-2023

Fees Fall Spring Summer
Living Expenses (housing/meals) $3,000 $3,750 $2,250
Books and Supplies $300 $300 $300
Miscellaneous Fees $425 $425 $425
Health Insurance $1,405 $1,956 (includes summer)  $560
TOTAL $5,130 $6,431 $3,535

 *Students may incur additional fees.  Students must have a plan to support themselves during their entire length of study and must have at least 51% of their funding from sources other than personal funding (i.e. sponsor funding, scholarship, tuition waiver, government sponsorship, etc.) All fees are based on estimated costs and are subject to change at any time.

Explanation of Estimated Cost of Attendance for International Students 2023-2024

Tuition and Fees:  Actual tuition and fee charges will vary depending on the number and type of courses a student takes each term.  Tuition and fees for the summer semester are NOT included in the estimate of tuition and fees incurred annually. 

Books and Supplies:  Estimates may be somewhat low for students in certain fields.  Estimates do NOT include books and supplies for study during the summer.  Expect at least $500 in expenses for books and supplies for a full course load (12 hours undergraduate; 9 hours graduate) during the fall and spring semesters.   Costs may be higher for some programs.

Housing:  Housing is based on an average rate of $2,240 per fall and spring semester for double occupancy on-campus housing as listed at USA Housing  Off-campus properties rates can vary but should average the cost of on-campus housing, but may be more or less expensive depending on the needs and choice of the person. Please be aware that some off-campus properties include utilities in the price of rent, while others require separate utility service. 

Food:  Dining is based on the lowest cost of an on-campus meal plan of $2,075 per fall and spring semester. Students who live off-campus may choose to buy an on-campus meal plan or “dining dollars” by visiting USA Dining.

Students who often eat in restaurants or cafeterias will likely incur greater costs than those estimated.  Students who prepare most meals in their apartments will likely be able to stay within the estimated cost. 

Personal Expenses:  These expenses vary greatly from student to student.  The amount listed in this estimate is an approximation of funds that may be needed to supplement living expenses.

Dependents:  An accompanying dependent (spouse/child) who is not a student will require additional funds or support.  The estimate of $5,000 per year/per dependent meets the U.S. Government Health and Human Services Poverty Level yearly estimate. Please be aware that actual dependent costs may be much higher due to additional medical insurance expenses, food, clothing, and daycare for children.

Medical Insurance: The University of South Alabama requires all international students in F-1 and J-1 status to have continuous medical insurance coverage.  The U.S. Department of State also requires all visitors in J-1 or J-2 to maintain medical insurance coverage for the duration of their stay in the U.S.

The estimate of health insurance costs is the annual premium for United Healthcare and is for the student only.  Students may submit a waiver of this insurance, but must qualify with their own personal insurance policy that equals the University’s policy. USA encourages students with families to obtain medical insurance coverage for all family members in the U.S.

For students whose insurance coverage is sponsored under a government scholarship letter/financial guarantee letter (i.e. SACM, Kuwait Cultural Embassy), this documentation must be provided no later than the first day of classes along with a copy of the actual insurance card. Scholarship/financial guarantee supported international students are responsible for all premiums and fees billed to their accounts if such documents are not received before classes begin.

Enrollment forms and policy information available at the USA Student Health website.

Important Notes

  • Students and/or their sponsors must have a plan to support themselves during their entire length of study. On-campus employment is not guaranteed and should not be seen as a significant means of support while at the University. Arrangements should be made to have funds available at the time of registration for each semester. Payment of fees is due on the day of class registration.
  • J-1 exchange and degree-seeking students must have funding of at least 51% of their financial support from sources other than personal funds.
  • It is unlikely that an international student can study at the University of South Alabama for less than the estimated costs.
  • All estimates are in United States currency ($US dollars).
  • All estimates are subject to change without notice.  This document reflects estimated costs for academic students for the 2022-2023 academic year which ends in July 2023.

Forms Needed to Issue an I-20 or DS-2019

To obtain an F-1 I-20 or J-1 DS-2019 from the University of South Alabama, a student must:

  1. Apply and be admitted to a program of study;
  2. Provide a copy of the passport info page and show adequate proof of funding to cover his/her studies and living expenses by submitting required proof of funding, preferably with their application for admission. If student will be sponsored, an affidavit of support is required.
  3. Deposits - A non-refundable admissions deposit of $500 USD will be required of a student before an I-20 or DS-2019 is issued. 

*Financial Requirements for Visa Sponsorship of Dependent Spouse and Children (under the age of 21): The estimated costs of living increase with each added dependent.  Estimated cost for each F-2 or J-2 Dependent is $5,000 USD per dependent child. Children may not be a dependent on their parent’s documents after the age of 21.

Format for Financial Support Documents

  • Documents must be in English or have the original language version plus a certified English translation stamped by the financial institution.
  • Documents must bear a signature, official seal, or be on letterhead from an official agency.
  • Documents must state account type and account balance (accounts must be accessible liquid funds).
  • Documents must be dated and be less than six (6) months old when the I-20 or DS-2019 is issued.
  • Statements must include the account holder’s name, date, account type, account balance and currency type. If the statement is a web printout, it must include the web link/URL.


Funding Sources Financial Document Types
Personal or Family Funding
  • Checking or savings account statements
  • Term/Fixed/Time Deposits (statement must specify a maturity date in the past)
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD), mutual, stock, or bond funds (total cash amount available for withdrawal after penalty)

*Credit cards, life insurance, retirement and/or pension funds are NOT accepted.

University Financial Award

Submit the official award letter (scholarship, assistantship, stipend) on USA department letterhead. The award letter must include:

  • Name
  • Date of issue
  • Costs to be covered and/or the amount of funding awarded
  • Semesters covered
  • In-state or out-of-state tuition waiver, if any
Government, University or Other Official Agency Funding

Submit the official letter of sponsorship to include the name, University of South Alabama. The sponsorship letter must include:

  • Date of issue
  • Dates/semesters funding is provided
  • If dependents will be covered
  • Major student is permitted to study
  • Costs covered or the amount of funding awarded